Monday, January 19, 2009

Things Hoped For...Things Unseen

One writer has said "faith is the substance of things hoped for and the evidence of things not seen". Things hoped for...things unseen. What then is my greatest hope? Long life, happiness, grandchildren, health, eternal life, world peace? All of these are virtuous, I think.

I want to live to be 100, if my mind is lucid and my body is healthy. I would like to witness what challenges the world has faced, and its leaders overcome, in over a century. Will we make it to Mars in my lifetime? What technological advances will the world make in the next 51 years?

Secondly, can humans actually achieve happiness? Is happiness a worthwhile goal? Or is the pursuit of happiness where we actually find it?

Thirdly, I want to live to see my son have children. I want to know what it is to be a granddad. Some of my friends are already grandparents, and the looks on their faces lead me to believe it is a grand thing to be a grandparent.

I think to have the gift of health is also something we all desire. Moreover, I think maintaining health is as important to those I love as it is to me. Having healthy habits shows love not only for yourself but love for others. At least I hope they want me around for a while.

And world peace is not something relegated to an utterance by those hoping to become Miss America. I really would like to live in a world where there is no fear from the encroachment of terrorists.

Finally, I hope for eternal life. From my previous post I think one can ascertain that I believe in a higher power, I believe that all men (and women) were made by Him. I believe that we are imbued with something of God's substance. And because of that I believe that there is an eternal nature in each person. If I hope for eternal life, I must hope that it is in the presence of God.

If I hope to be eternally in the presence of God, How do i get there? Many people believe there is a way to work ones way into the presence of God. I recently tried my hand at participating in a discussion group. The substance of that discussion dealt with performance based entrance into the presence of God. The leader of the discussion held that we could work our way into heaven. One question he failed to address was how much good work was enough? His response was that we would find out once we got into the presence of God.

Muslims also believe in such a salvation. Buddhists believe in a path to Nirvana that includes separation from the material world. Jews believe the path to salvation is in following the Torah and many ancillary dictates from tradition and Rabbinical interpretations.

But my question remains the same: how much good is enough to get to eternal life? I am not so sure we can ever be so good. I am not so sure we can perform enough good works to get God's attention much less His eternal grace.

I think the question most certainly has to be addressed by God Himself; and I can only find one answer purportedly given by God Himself. Jesus said, "I am the way the truth and the life; no man comes to the Father except by me" (Jn 14:6). Earlier in that passage Jesus said to trust in God the Father and in Him (Jesus) and He would make a place in heaven for us.

This, and other passages, take the focus off of my personal efforts to attain eternal life. And they place the onus of salvation where it can be given, and if it is given it must be received. If it is received the gift cannot be taken away. Salvation is safest when it is a gift. It is fragile when it depends upon me to maintain it. Under Jesus' plan I don't have to do anything to earn it. I don't have to be accountable for sins past, present, or future. It frees me to love God because he is altogether lovely. A relationship based upon love rather than action. Is that not truly love? It frees me to do for God what He wants of me, not what He requires of me. It does, however, require me to place my hope and trust in Christ for my salvation.

My greatest hope is that not only am I awarded the grace ushering me into eternity with God, but that all might taste of that gift. It is the thing that I hope for and my life is the evidence of things not seen. And I'll hold that thought for next time.

No comments:

Post a Comment